Monday, October 18, 2004

No, he did NOT!!!

He did NOT just say what I think he said, did he?

I think he did. Take a look at this quote, near the bottom of his long post:


With a choice between Tracy, Felipe Alou, Bruce Bochy, Clint Hurdle, Al Pedrique, Art Howe, Frank Robinson, Larry Bowa, Dusty Baker, Phil Garner, Tony La Russa, Lloyd McClendon, Dave Miley, and Ned Yost, Tracy's at least in the top three or four. It's possible to do better than Tracy, but not probable.


Now, keep in mind I just laid the wood to LaRussa for his boneheaded move in keeping Calero in game 4 of the NLCS. But, overall, I'm fairly happy with him as manager. But seriously, let's get real. Jim Tracy in the top 3 or 4 in THAT list? I seriously doubt it. In fact, I KNOW he's not.

Let's see:
LaRussa - has the Cardinals in contention every year. This year they had the best record in baseball with what EVERYONE concedes is suspect starting pitching.
Baker - came within an inch of a World Series title with the Giants. If Bonds gets on his horse, he wears the ring. Now, YOU may fault Baker for having Bonds in the game, but I'm not going to do that. I'll take Baker over Tracy any day. And I'm no Baker fan.
Garner - makes his mistakes, that's for sure. For instance, not putting in Lidge in Game 2 before it was too late. But the 'Stros close out the year hotter than anyone, and they've tied it up with the best team in baseball in the NLCS. Plus, he learns from his mistakes, as my friend Steve Haskins so aptly pointed out here. So, again, I'll also take Garner over Tracy anyday.

I'm not going to go any further. So, let me just stop here and point back to the quote above...


...Tracy's at least in the top three or four...


At least in the top three or four? So, in effect, he's saying, he's no worse than fourth. No, no, no, a thousand TIMES no!!!! Jim Tracy is not in the top three, period. He's not even close. At MOST, he could be fourth. But I'm not going to give him that either. Now, I'm not going through the other named managers because I don't have time. However, I'm certain that I would choose ALL of them over Jim Tracy. Well, maybe not Art Howe, but that still leaves Tracy second to last, AT BEST.

So, please, in the interests of my sanity, don't mention Jim Tracy in the same breath with managers who are FAR superior to him. I'm begging you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home